In the age of social media, having a pest infestation in your restaurant can be devastating. It only takes one post made on a restaurant review site like Yelp, Google, OpenTable for it to negatively impact your business. As a restaurant owner or manager, you must stay in front of potential infestations before they happen by recognizing signs of pests. Furthermore, enacting regular pest control tactics can limit the possibilities of infestations occurring.
Pest control methods are not an extra expense. In the restaurant business, they are necessary. It does not matter how great your food is or how exemplary your service is if your restaurant has pests. It can be difficult to repair the image of your restaurant afterward. In the case of an infestation, many owners rely on traditional pest control tactics. These tactics involve toxic chemicals, lots of money, and interruption of restaurant operations.
Fortunately, there is another method of pest control that is quick, easy to use, and safe: Cryonite. Learn more about pest infestations, how they can affect your business, and how to prevent them with Cryonite below.
Signs of An Infestation in Your Restaurant
In a perfect world, all restaurant owners would recognize an infestation before their customers do. However, many owners do not know how to recognize the signs of a potential infestation in its infancy. Some of the tale-tell signs that your restaurant may have been invaded by pests are listed below.
- Food Has Been Contaminated: Noticing bugs in or around your food is a clear sign that there is an issue afoot. Most bugs are averse to cold environments. If roaches or other types of pests are noticed in your refrigerator take action quickly.
- You Notice Droppings: Unbeknownst to many people, large roaches leave droppings behind that are easy to spot.
- Customers Start Complaining: If you are lucky, a customer will bring it to your attention in person before they post anything online. Waste no time if a customer has spotted a roach, spiders, or been bitten by bed bugs.
Pest Control Tips For Your Restaurant
Remember, controlling pest infestations does not just happen once. Pest control needs to be a priority throughout the year. There are various steps that you can take to limit the likelihood of pests invading your restaurant. Learn more about effective pest control methods below.
- Do not leave trash in your restaurant overnight. Even if that trash is in a trash can. Ensure that all waste is in a self-contained dumpster.
- Properly store all food. Ensure that all food wrapped, put into containers ad/or properly covered at all times.
- Thoroughly clean your restaurant every night. This includes washing all dirty dishes, scrubbing floors, removing grease from all areas, vacuuming, mopping, etc. In addition, empty all drains.
- Limit the spaces that allow bugs to gain entry. Seal all holes, cracks, openings, etc. Furthermore, do not allow for pools of water or moisture as this can potentially attract bugs like roaches, mosquitoes, etc.
How a Pest Infestation Can Hurt Your Business
If a patron sees a pest or is bitten, it is not something they will take kindly. And will likely result in the idea that your restaurant is infested via social media and word of mouth. A pest infestation in your restaurant will eventually decrease business, negatively affect your profits, and cause you to lose employees. After all, no one wants to work in an environment in which there is a perpetual pest problem. Furthermore, when your restaurant is inspected by the Department of Health, it will not look good for your restaurant to be infested. An infestation will result in a low health rating or the closure of your restaurant.
Why Cryonite is an Effective Method to Quickly Control a Restaurant Infestation
Cryonite is a pest control method that is fast, effective, safe for people and food, and easy to use. Cryonite machines use dry ice (carbon dioxide snow, frozen at -110℉). The dry ice rapidly freezes roaches, bed bugs, and other stored product pests. It instantly kills pests without toxins. Which means you can keep operations running and not lose out on business. The machine is easy to use, and employees can be trained within a very short time period. If you have an infestation, Cryonite can be used to instantly treat problems while you wait for a pest control professional to apply more long term treatments. Do not wait for infestations to grow, instantly kill pests in your restaurant with Cryonite.