You might think that nothing is worse than finding a cockroach in your home or business. However, there is something worse: finding out you have a cockroach infestation. A seemingly small pest issue right now can turn into devastation for your business in the future.
However, we’re here to help! We know how important an immediate response is to a cockroach introduction. As soon as you see these critters, it’s important to respond quickly. And despite their reputation of being hard to kill, there is a solution to eliminating them instantly.
How to Identify Cockroaches
First of all, you will want to be able to quickly identify these pests. While most cockroaches have distinguishing features that make them easy to identify from other pests, there are actually more than 3,500 different species of cockroaches. Depending on the type of cockroach you find, the bug might have unique identifiers. But, regardless of the species, there are specific identification points among all cockroach types:
- Length: Cockroaches are usually between .7 – 3 inches in length. Keep in mind that this measurement is for their body size only and does not include the length of their antennae.
- Shape: The body shape is long and oval, and looks flattened. Roaches have heads at the top of the oval, with antennae sticking out from the head.
- Color: Roaches can range from a light brown to a reddish-brown or blackish hues. The coloring changes when they molt. If a cockroach has recently molted then it has a temporary whitish hue.
- Movement: Many cockroaches have wings, but only some of them can fly. These insects move very quickly, making it hard to kill them.
Common Cockroach Species
- Oriental Cockroaches: Known for their love of water, these cockroaches tend to hang out in damp areas. They often gain access inside by following sewers, drains, or pipes. Their coloring tends to be darker, brown-black.
- German Cockroaches: These cockroaches prefer environments that are warm or humid and close to food. The German Cockroach is often found in facilities such as kitchens, hospitals, long-term care facilities, schools, or zoos. Additionally, they are the most common cockroach species in the world, making them a common problem. Their coloring is a lighter brown to tan color.
- Brown-Banded Cockroaches: These cockroaches get their name from the light brown bands that run horizontally across their back. Additionally, this cockroach has fully developed wings by the time it reaches the adult stage.
- American Cockroaches: These cockroaches are known for their large size. They can grow to be over 2 inches long with fully developed wings. They are a reddish-brown color and have a yellow line that outlines the back of their head.
Now that you can identify cockroaches, it’s time to eliminate these pests, quick!
What Kills Cockroaches Instantly?
Like other pests, cockroaches are attracted to areas where they can nest with easy access to food and water. Seeing one cockroach is a strong indicator that you have many on-site, which is why it is best to act quickly to eliminate the problem.
If you have cockroach concerns, one option is to call external pest control services. But there are drawbacks to conventional pest control: chemical applications and the ongoing cost of services. Instead, consider a nontoxic system you can own in your business: Cryonite.
This Integrated Pest Management (IPM) solution kills cockroaches and other insects on contact using a cold treatment. It’s a versatile treatment that kills all stages of growth: everything from eggs to adult cockroaches.
Additionally, this chemical-free treatment can be applied on most surfaces without damage. The key is that the Cryonite system must come in direct contact with the insect – so it’s smart to use spatial monitoring to identify the problem areas.
Prevent Cockroaches in the Future
Even when the cockroach infestation is gone, you need to be proactive in preventing them in the future. Follow these tips:
- Keep it clean to eliminate food and water sources
- Limit where you eat and store food
- Store food in sealed containers
- Empty the trash regularly
- Use Cryonite to treat small problems before infestations occur
Cryonite is a safe, effective system that you can use as much as needed. This pest control solution is a great option for sensitive environments if you are looking for ways to eliminate infestations without chemical exposure to staff and customers.
Additionally, the Cryonite machine can be used without vacating the area, unlike other pest control services. This gives you the ability to avoid a potentially costly full shutdown. For more information, contact us at Cryonite to learn about this effective freezing technology.